Competition: Win a Place on a Creative Writing Course
From Laurent Cantet, writer-director of Palme d’Or-winner The Class, and writer Robin Campillo (120 Beats Per Minute) comes The Workshop, a riveting contemporary drama that blends social commentary with a complex study of the modern world.
Set in La Ciotat, France, the film centres around Antoine (Matthieu Lucci), a teenager who attends a summer writing class. Alongside a group of other students, Antoine is tasked with writing a crime thriller with the help of celebrated novelist Olivia Dejazet (Marina Foïs, Polisse), on the basis that the final piece is connected to the town’s past.
While the class set about their projects, Olivia is captivated by Antoine’s anxious and aggressive behaviour. This is reflected in his prose, which becomes more violent and disturbing in its depiction of political radicalism - a provocative streak Olivia is at once troubled and fascinated by.
The prize bundle includes:
● One place on a City Lit writing course of the winner’s choice (administered by the Writing department, up to a value of £199).
● 2 tickets to a screening of The Workshop at a Curzon Cinema of the winner’s choice.
● A DVD bundle consisting of The Class, 120 Beats Per Minute, Things to Come.
To be in with a chance of winning, entrants must submit a piece of writing (of no more than 250 words) that is themed around their hometown. Style, structure, content and form are completely up to you, so whether it’s a poem, short story, script or think piece - the choice is yours!
HOW TO ENTER
Send your written submission by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your work as a PDF or Word document
Write “The Workshop Competition” in the email subject line
Include your full name in the body of the email
Send us your story by 23 November, 2018
Terms & Conditions
● Entrants must send their written submission to email@example.com
● Deadline for entrants is 23 November 2018.
● A shortlist of entries will be judged by Curzon and City Lit, and the winning entry will be posted on the Curzon Cinemas blog page and promoted on social channels.
● The prize consists of one place on a course administered by the City Lit Writing department, up to the value of £199. The deadline for enrolment is 1 March 2019.
● The winner is responsible for making their own way to each session. Travel is not included in the prize.